Thursday 30 May 2013

Tour Diary Day 7 The Borderline London - Day 1

Here we are then... the last two nights of the tour with Terry Reid, a double night at the Borderline in London. A venue steeped in rock & roll history and a place I've never played before which is quite rare in London as I've trod the boards up here many times. After a good journey up with Steve Pitt with the new David Bowie album flowing over us from his tiny vauxhall corsa speakers, we get in to find the rest of the band just arriving.

I went to check in to our hotel and on the way back knowing it would be some time before I was due to soundcheck, I went to my favourite street in the centre of London....Denmark Street. Wall to wall guitars...effects.....amps....synths.....and equipment. It really is a musicians dream, like finding the winning Wonka Ticket and being sucked into the best place in the world via Wonka-Vision. Problem is of course being a musician I have no money, so it's like look...but don't touch. Still didn't stop me playing a Martin acoustic that I have my eye on. £650 quids though which isn't that bad for the guitar, still I walked away complaining in my sub conscience about how much I'd just parted with to buy a tuna sandwich.... so the Martin is just a dream for now. 


Terry is in full band mode tonight, Pedal steel, Brass, Lead guitar, organ, Drum kit and Bass. Terry cackles at me and comes over for a trademark hug and uses his new found tongue in cheek cool word for something going terribly wrong..."clusterfuck". Of course he was referring to the fact he had the problems with his voice that are still ongoing. He disappeared to go see the doctor before soundcheck, a proper consultant on the troubles of the voice-box variety. When he came back time was pushing on so after a hairy soundcheck where the band were finding their feet and getting levels.... we were there! For a while though it was a mass of cables and confusion! We got there though and I finished my 'speed of light' soundcheck just as people started coming into the venue.


When I started played there wasn't a great deal of people in which I was a little gutted about. Then for some unknown reason during the second track Heartbeats, people came in and filled the floor in front of me. I had verbal diahhorea tonight and was bantering away trying to win them over on to my side and keep them engaged. It seemed to work and by new song "Sea Of Memory" they were really gunning for me, which was a great feeling. My monitor mix was great tonight and I could really play with the dynamics of the songs which I love doing. I had people interacting with me in between tracks, cameras flashing and silence in all the right places. It showed after the set as lots of people came to buy EPs and to ask how I get my guitar tone, and even lyrics being questioned which is fantastic. A great start for me of the two nights we have here I'm hoping I can have a repeat performance on the Friday show with it being the last night of the tour and all. Not many CDs to sell now until I'm completely out!

The soundcraft desk in a glass case as a table in the green room! Must be the old board!

Terry in full band is always a breathtaking experience. It's normally a real lesson in real music as he gets in the best session players and the "feel" of the band is something that tends to be lost from a lot of newer acts nowadays and harks back to golden times of music. The whole thing breathes as one organism which is quite a feat considering they hardly rehearse and Terry has a habit of improvising at a drop of a hat so the session guys really have to be on it! The track Terry did with DJ Shadow "Listen" could be done tonight because of the full band environment and its a joy to hear...a real brooding breakbeat track that has such a great vibe. It's the closest terry will ever get to dance music and very contemporary. Tracks were falling thick tonight...some real crowd pleasers, Rich Kid Blues, Seed Of Memory, Faith To Arise, and Don't Worry Baby complete with singalong crowd and the now default funky opening instrumental The Frame that Terry comes on stage to which always gets me moving uncontrollably. Terry did well with his voice tonight and he was starting to get his low end power back from the gigs before where he was struggling, I was scared for him every time he exerted too much though! Easy Terry! Don't get carried away! We're recording it tomorrow!! 

Tomorrow it's the last date of the tour and Terry is playing the seminal album seed of memory back to back, and I'll be playing my last date on tour.

It'll be emotional....

Stay Safe
Andy
X

Here's a lovely review from New Reviews of Personal Legend...thanks to them 

Here's the link to the Havant show in June
http://www.thespring.co.uk/events/andrew-foster/

Personal Legend (Science & Magic)
Mastered by Pete Maher
(U2, Beady Eye)


No comments:

Post a Comment