Wednesday 15 May 2013

Tour Diary day 1 Winchester


So here we are the first day of the tour, first stop Winchester on a beautiful night. At soundcheck we are greeted by a fine gentleman by the name of Luke. Luke and I get into a conversation about psychedelia and the neo psychedelic movement of bands like Tame Impala....so we have Temples blearing out the PA. I then show him the album "nuggets" from the 60's, so that becomes the music I walk onto after him asking me what colour lights I like on stage...which was a nic touch..they were green of course. Meeting Terry again after these last few years gigging with him is like meeting an old friend, and after him being told to strip back on his guitars he then presents to me a huge array of gorgeous guitars among which is a Gibson Firebird! He says "pick it up!" In that weathered voice of his so I do...and play it.....it's unbelievable! 
I now want one of course. He likes my new special weapon in my sonic arsenal which is a pedal..... More of which later....

The crowd tonight is small but friendly and really take to my songs. One thing that is a recurring theme is the fact I'm from Portsmouth always getting a friendly boo around the country! Heartbeats seems to make the biggest impact although a longer trippy version of the garden seems to raise a few eyebrows. Terry has an amazing monitor mix for his voice and guitars and I always get to use it. It's really dynamic meaning you can hear the slightest whisper which means you aren't always fighting to be heard, and this influences the way you play quite considerably. 

Lots of people recently have been coming up to me after the show and asking what's going on with your guitar is it a loop station? It sounds amazing!.....it's my new toy but you'd have to hear it really, as it wouldn't make sense explaining it but it has added a new texture to the sound usually created with just one man and guitar.



It was a great start to the tour tonight and a pleasure to be playing with Terry again. His song "The eye of the raging storm" was beautiful, I've always loved it but it had a special feel tonight for the start of the tour. Terry was warming into gig as the night went on after not playing for a while and played through what's known as a "gig knobead". Gig knobeads are very common and like to pay their money for the ticket but ruin the show by drinking two shandies (the gig knobead can't handle his drink) and spoil it for everyone's else by heckling and talking all the way through the gig. They are normally with so called friends that are scared of them....they are called gig pricks....Even with this chump there Terry had a good start to the tour as did I.

On the way back Terry and I discussed tornado chasing in Texas, Latin rhythms, and the wonders of band alchemy...

Here's a new song from the up and coming album, and those who have followed what I do for a long time will notice its a reworking of an old track. Hope you like it please let me know what you think. It's also been mastered by Pete Maher (U2, Beady Eye) which is nice...

Personal Legend
http://m.soundcloud.com/andrewfostermusic/personal-legend-science-magic

Next stop Bath....can't wait...one of my favourite places I've been to in the country.

Stay Safe
Andy x

No comments:

Post a Comment