Friday 17 May 2013

Tour Diary Day 3 Totnes Devon

After last nights fantastic gig in Bath I woke up early to try and see the Roman Baths and have a quick look around the town. I was out when people were going to work and it reminded me of the more dignified parts of London in the morning but with a slower pace and a cosmopolitan vibe. It really is a beautiful city to walk around and I guess if you live here as with any place, the spell becomes broken over time but I could really imagine myself living there. It gave me the same sense of belonging Paris did when I went. The tourists spoil it a bit but I'm essentially a tourist myself so can't really complain there ;-)



I'm sure a few of you have been to the baths before but if you haven't I really recommend going. It's a breathtaking slice of history that is right in front of you. Not like normally when they make a whole complex and charge an entrance fee because of a piece of bronze they found on a hill once....this is the real deal. You get an audio walkie talkie type contraption when you enter and you type codes in to hear information. This renders the museum silent as everybody's listening to these devices, it's quite strange! I'm not going to waffle about its 2000 years of history as that would be boring, go along and see it yourself.....and taste the water it's weird...


Whatever you do...don't blink!!


On the way to Totnes Terry and I discuss the merits of vox amps and look through various fender re-issues like the fender supersonic mint green amp I've got my eye on and the British racing green vox...(my girlfriend hears about that amp all the time, she humours me bless her). He then tells me about the bidding war between Rory Gallagher and Brian May when terry sold his original 60s vox ac30....if ya asking, Brian May won. 
The journey down to Devon is gorgeous again, all very Midsomner Murders and British. The pub we stop off at has an umbrella urn type thing and a pristine garden...it looked like a train set model village. It reminds me of The Trip with Steve Coogan directed by Michael Winterbottom. He paints a picture of the green and pleasant land on film and I feel like I'm in it a bit!

Photo courtesy of Max from last nights Bath gig thanks for that!

We are a little sceptical about the venue tonight as we know nothing about it and we don't know what sound system is in there but I do a little research and its an art centre apparently which I love playing. Thing is... its kind of not! 
After driving round a piece of town that looked like the set of Doc Martin we end up going round in circles in a small industrial estate. For a while it's all very "hello Cleveland!" from Spinal Tap. When we get there it's a tiny room in a business unit that seats about 100. It's all very cute and nieve run by three people that are lovely. I instantly like the bonkers idea of the gig, apparently they are moving to a bigger venue soon and I wish them all the luck in the world as they are so nice and it looks like the area could do with an arts hub. 

Terry's J200 it really is gorgeous!

The intimacy actually ads some nice atmosphere complete with rain sound on the tin roof, it really feels like a private gig! I wasn't as relaxed as last night for some reason as my monitor mix was a tad peculiar but I ran with it as I didn't want to mess with it too much after Terry spending a while getting it right for himself. The garden was the best track tonight and memory maze. I still had a great gig though and enjoyed playing to the audience who were very receptive and respectful. It was an older crowd tonight and they lapped up Terry's stories of Graham Nash and Buffalo Springfield. 


A strange experience but a good one!....

Today we have a 5 and a half hour journey to St Ives near Terry's hometown! Think I may play Snood on the way.....anyone played Snood?...play Snood......you'll love it ;-)

Pedalcam! Electroharmonix superego

Stay Safe
Andy
 


No comments:

Post a Comment