Wednesday 4 December 2013

Gig Diary 4 - The Regal Rooms - Five Ways Folk Club


The Regal Rooms is the other half of the two most important figurehead venues for songwriters in London. The Bedford was a place I was recommended to play very early on when I started performing on my own and I fell in love with it on my first visit. It's Shakespearean theatre decor makes for as grand backdrop for the singer/songwriter guise. The Regal Rooms in Hammersmith was it's sister venue often regarded with a certain respect for its history of having industry present at shows. Showcases tend to be arranged there for wide eyed hopefuls on the brink of discovery. It's with sadness I say that the Regal Rooms's future is in jeopardy now it's been bought out, which now makes this gig even more poignant as it was to be my last as it stands in the venue. It was your typical Regal Rooms gig, great sound, civilised crowd, cheeky camp compare, and some fine talent on the bill with a touch of show tune and theatrics thrown in for good measure. I often feel the odd one out in London but have never felt out of place in either of these venues. My voice had taken a battering by the end of these dates more of which later but for now the Regal Rooms I salute your hospitality and memories.




The Fiveways folk club was a real shot in the dark for me. I'd never heard of it before trying it out and didn't know what to expect. After getting to the pub which seemed the same as any other Weatherspoons in a suburb in anywheresville, I was told it was upstairs in a tiny room. So upstairs I went a little confused trusty guitar on back and Jack Daniels In hand. The room is just that.. very tiny and it's modest decor and school room chairs had me thinking maybe I was in the wrong place. I must admit I'd had my reservations but this was turned by the warmth of the people who frequent this aptly named club into the perfect example of what I imagined true folk clubs to be. It was an older crowd who where respectful, graceful, attentive and open to my material even though some of my songs don't necessarily fit the bill of purist folk music. I performed more pure acoustic songs leaving behind my box of effect tricks that night. Another thing that is a huge factor as well as the people  in the atmosphere of the place is there's no PA! Completely acoustic....nothing! Which I actually enjoy the pressure and tend to rise to it as it's comfortable for me. I thoroughly enjoyed myself at fiveways and I'm back next year. It's different but it's untouched by media and expectations...it's a small room where people play songs that shape peoples experiences and traditions...there's a purity in that.

Tonight I'm playing at the legendary Dublin Castle in Camden :-)



Stay Safe
Andy x


No comments:

Post a Comment