Thursday 5 December 2013

Gig Diary 5 - The Bedford - The Abbey Tavern - Dublin Castle

The Bedford was the first of three London dates running back to back, and it's a pleasure to play. I've said much about it over the years and hold it close as my favorite London venue for my music. Tonight's gig was five songwriters doing the usual four songs over two parts of the evening. A Swedish lad called Ludvig Andersson was waiting patiently for soundcheck looking like a Americana star already, and we started talking. He is an interesting guy, he travels over from Sweden to play gigs knowing that to get a cheap flight to London and back is actually cheaper than staying in a hotel over here! You've got to admire that kind of thinking and he was a great performer too. Backstage we all swapped touring stories, guitars, and a rather interesting conversation with another artist Simon Wells about the lost Dr Who tapes recently found. Simon was another interesting chap, a writer as well as a musician with the bohemian vibe to boot. It was a warm and friendly night with a good receptive crowd no animosity from the other performers and a sense of camaraderie.
My pedal board has raised a few eyebrows this year as the textures really do add a little depth to the vibe I try to create with my songs. Tonight was no exception with "the Garden" being particularly psychedelic! 

The Bedford in Balham, backstage graffiti wall

The Abbey Tavern is a place I've never played before and is essentially an open mic night that you book to play on. It has the option to record the three songs you perform and I'll no doubt have one of them up soon to listen to. The pub where the stage is present is all open plan so people all sit around and you get up and do your thing. It's very relaxed and a nice vibe in there, I'd imagine this place would be great to try out new material or to play tracks in development. The other artists on the bill were all friendly and I stayed around to chat to the people who listened giving out flyers and introducing myself. I then left to catch a very good friend of mine play in the Camden Eye to a slightly different vibe. 'Lewisberg' has just started solo performing but he played fantastically well against a tough background.

London looked quite beautiful on the way to The Dublin Castle in Camden today. The overground train I was on from Wimbledon is mostly overground rooftop height and everything was silhouetted against a cold December sunset. Quite a different view from my last visit to London where the overground journey exposed a darker derelict side to East London I'd never really experienced even when I lived here. Forgotten railway stations hold their ground amongst industrial buildings that were once key players now ghosts of themselves. Nature has taken over and grown around empty playgrounds and concrete graffiti ridden structures. Not today though it looked like a panning shot from an amalgamation of a Richard Curtis/Tim Burton movie... all romance and mystery.

Photo by aaron bennett photography

Dublin Castle is somewhere I'd never played on my own and I was the only solo performer there. Soundcheck was great and my effects sounded huge through the PA. Headliners 'Fracture' were a nice bunch and I'm sorry I couldn't hang around for their set as I was homeward bound that night and had to leave early. 

Unfortunately a bit like the other historic indie pillar venues I've played in London recently the crowd was sparse. I must say though the few that were there were great and listened and engaged with me. It's a shame seeing these venues across the country become less engaged with but that's a whole different conversation and is covered by many. Dublin Castle is a fantastic venue and its staff are all approachable and nice and the sound guy is very good indeed.

My voice is not running on full steam at present, I have a vocal chord injury. It's really made me realise the importance of looking after it as I've always been extremely nonchalant and taken it for granted that it would always be there. Every musician is scared of colds and I'm no different, avoiding people with them and getting all paranoid when a gig comes near. Nothing has prepared me for an actual vocal chord injury though and it's quite a shock when things you used to do become a struggle. My point to this confession is... singers....look after your voice. It will go if not respected, and when it does you will S@*t yourselves! 

Next stop The Good Ship...

Stay Safe
Andy x

No comments:

Post a Comment