Tuesday 25 June 2013

The Isle Of Wight Festival - Phobos

Alright?

So, this year Isle Of Wight Festival was back to a family event; after a few years of playing with the big boys. For me it was all the better for it. That said, this year IOW has had some megative press with comments that the line-up was too 'Grandad...hehe!! I believe the space is better used when its run as a family festival and not a Mini-Glasto and it may not have been particularly cutting edge this year with NME acts but you still had some incredible bands in the line-up; I feel the Festival works much better when there are acts from all the spectrum, catering for all ages.

I've been waiting to see 'The Killers' for years and they didn't disappoint. It was a fantastic performance which will go down as one of my faves since I've been going and I've been to nearly every one. The band of the moment 'Bastille' were unbelievable; whether you like pop music or not, there's no getting away from the fact they are incredibly tight and make a lot of seasoned pros look lazy. 'Fun' were the surprise band of the festival, their theatrical pop really made the tent come alive. Also not forgetting 'Bloc Party', who after a really shaky start completely tore the place apart with new songs that were interesting, hard hitting and fresh... the guitarist is unbelievable... I need to see his pedal board... Anyway...

My performance in the Kashmir Tent had a sparse attendance at first, but then the tent began to fill and people were engaging... which was fantastic... only to lose them all again when Jake Bugg came on. The people that were there though were brilliant and I got stopped a few times when I was walking about the festival saying how they enjoyed it. Now...how can I get myself a press endorsement from Noel Gallagher?... he still has the power to give a huge fanbase in one sentence! Many thanks to all at the Kashmir Tent for the opportunity to play, hopefully here's to next year... fingers crossed. It is one of the best tents in the festival and I'm sure the organisers and volunteers will go to musical heaven for there services.... which I assume to sound like a Brian Eno soundscape with candy floss and headphones.


So here's another new track...
Quite a departure maybe from other released material in the past; a different recording style can completely change the feel of the song. I arrived at this track on a train journey to Worthing one day to visit to my partner. On my iPad I have an app called DM-1 drums, its essentially a drum sequencer in the classic sense, containing everything from 909 style kits to full blown Timpani's. I created the whole rhythm section on this app and transferred it to Cubase building the track over the top.
The idea was to keep it pretty sparse, like classic electro. Nothing was put in unless it was essential. It is inspired by a bit of everything I've been listening to recently: Merz, Mansions On The Moon, New Order and I have always loved samples in tracks. Let me know what you think? Escapism is a theme I cover a lot and lyrically it's here in the form of Space travel... Phobos is a moon of Mars....if ya asking.....

Phobos
Mastered by Pete Maher (U2, Beady Eye)



Stay Safe
Andy
xx

"Everybody knows everything but nothing they should..."

No comments:

Post a Comment